Some great stuff for you kids this week, but we’ll start off with obvious insanity:
- Jason Mraz was given an award by the Songwriter’s Hall of Fame. Really Jason Mraz given an award for fucking songwriting!!! I hope this virtual museum catches on virtual fire and everybody that thinks this douche bag is talented virtually dies in that virtual fire. Say it with me: Jason Mraz is BAD AT MUSIC!
- Beck has gotten some talented people together and begun what he refers to as the Record Club.
We’ve been working on changes to the website for the last few months. We’ll be adding new sections as they’re ready. The first one to be added is called Record Club, an informal meeting of various people to record an album in a day. An album will be chosen to be reinterpreted and used as a framework. Nothing rehearsed or arranged ahead of time. A track will be uploaded once a week on beck.com as well as through the web sites of those involved with the project.
For this first edition, after lengthy deliberation and coming close to covering Digital Underground’s Sex Packets, all present voted in favor of the ‘other’ Underground’s The Velvet Underground & Nico. Participants included this time around are Nigel Godrich, Joey Waronker, Brian Lebarton, Bram Inscore, Yo, Giovanni Ribisi, Chris Holmes, and from Iceland, special guest Thorunn Magnusdottir, and myself. Thanks to everyone who helped put this together, and to all of you for indulging in this experiment. More soon.
- Jack White told the National Post that the Internet or moreover the people that frequent the Internet are to blame for the early release of The Dead Weather’s upcoming album. White is a known hater of technology & frequently ties a string between two tin cans to get in touch with friends.
- Blur bassist Alex James & Guitarist Graham Coxon told BBC 6 Radio that they have reunited and are writing songs for a new album. Release date not yet known.
- Bloc Party’s new single from their upcoming album was released & I just don’t understand what their aversion to being a rock band. Silent Alarm is a brilliant & a Weekend in the City was solid but they’ve been moving away from being a full fledged rock band & have been move more towards House or Disco & this single cements it. Tell me what you think.
- Jack White, Jimmy Page & The Edge are coming out with a new documentary that looks awesome. Check out the trailer.
Beck & The Record Club – Sunday Morning (Velvet Underground cover)
Bloc Party – One More Chance