Hey, it’s Wednesday (pronounced Wed ness day, truth, no not really, but wouldn’t it be funny if it was? Maybe I’ll write the whole article in parenthesis. I used to ignore parenthesis when I would read a book, but if you did that & I wrote the whole article in parenthesis like I said then it would consist of Hey, it’s Wednesday. Never mind, back to your regularly scheduled program.) & that means it’s time for some music news. Yay! Some decent stuff out there so let’s get to it.
- One of my favorite sites is I Am Fuel You Are Friends (See Blogroll). It is such a brilliant site that I’m sure many of you go to on a regular basis. Today it is imperative that you head over though since she has a killer video of Bruuuuuuuce with the Gaslight Anthem at the Glastonbury Festival this weekend. It will give you goosebumps it’s that good.
- Paste Magazine has a killer interview with Nels Cline from Wilco who I saw last week at the Wiltern & the show was absolutely amazing.
- Beck is a busy man lately. First, he’s doing the whole Record Club/Velvet Underground thing. Second, he’s doing an album with French Actress/Singer Charlotte Gainsbourg & now he’s planning on covering Sonic Youth’s entire 1986 classic album EVOL, but only releasing it on a cassette. Yes, a cassette! Beck is literally losing his mind as I write this & I couldn’t be happier. This is the best stuff he’s put out in a few years.
- Interesting article in the Village Voice about Black America’s ties to Michael Jackson & if there could ever be an heir apparent.
- According to NME the Killers are planning to release an album of all cover songs & here’s what they said
“It’s something that we’ve always talked about doing and we’re still talking about,” Flowers said. “It’s difficult for each of us to pick songs that represent us as individuals. I mean, I have a lot of personalities myself! I’ve gone through everything from Neil Diamond to The Cars.”
Vanucci cited acts including “Genesis, Tom Waits, a little Cyndi Lauper, Iggy Pop” as his preferred choices for the album, adding that he’s also been “messing around with a couple of Fleet Foxes songs”
- Finally, Blitzen Trapper is encouraging everyone to sign up for their newsletter on Twitter & if you do (And if you do, and if you do — name that movie) you get a free MP3. Here’s a copy of the one sent to me.
Blitzen Trapper w/ Stephen Malkmus – Funk ’49 (Live)